It’s been a buy and stressful week since the last edition of The Week in Links, but that’s why we call it work. It’s not always fluffy clouds and bright sunshine, even for those of us fortunate enough to be doing what we love for a living.
Despite all that, I have enjoyed quite a bit of reading this week. Once again I’ve highlighted a couple of articles which I really connected with. One from Shawn Blanc about work and one about working for yourself… probably not a coincidence after reading that first paragraph.
So sit back and enjoy this weeks edition alongside your Sunday coffee.
- Concerning the Ebb and Flow of “Work” by Shawn Blanc — This is sometihng I’m learning about myself at the moment. Even before I was self-eployed my tendency was to do things all the time, I used to give my holidays to go and do a bible holiday club for two weeks every summer. It was different but incredibly tiring and it caught up with me. Now I’m self-employed forcing myself to rest is hard, in fact it hit me last weekend. I need to be away from home to rest and shut out my work, otherwise I and my work suffer.
- Master working for yourself without crushing your soul — Dispatches from Paul Jarvis — Really interesting insights and thoughts on the areas on which to focus if you’re a freelancer. Focus upon what you want to do, talk about it lots and don’t be afraid of saying no. That final bit can be the hardest of all.
The Best of the Rest
- The Death Of Conversation on Babycakes Romero
- Hey, Internet: Stop Trying To Inspire Me on Medium
- The Thief of Intimacy, Busyness by Omid Safi on On Being
- What Does Investing in Yourself Look Like…For Me by Jorge Quinteros
- My Favorite Mac: The New 12″ Retina MacBook on MacStories
- Review: Three Months of Apple Watch on 512 Pixels